Calling all leaf-peepers, sweater weather lovers and sippers of cider! The streets of downtown Gatlinburg are lined with pumpkins and scarecrows. Pops of color can be seen throughout the mountainside, the forest canopy is beginning to fill in with stunning fall foliage and the smell of hot apple cider is filling the air from here to there. The only thing that we are missing is you! That’s why we’ve put together this ultimate guide to an autumn getaway to Gatlinburg and the Smokies. Take a few minutes to read over all the fun that awaits here in the hills of Tennessee and then, start planning your trip to one of the top fall destinations in America.
5 Tips to Make the Most of Your Time in The Smokies This Autumn
- Plan Your Day Wisely: Leaf Peepin’ season is one of the most popular times for folks to join us in the Smokies. You’ll make more of your time by taking a few minutes to come up with a flexible plan. Start early, go-to meals in between traditional meal times, and explore trails that are less popular but still beautiful.
- Pack for at Least Two Seasons: The weather in the Smokies is rarely predictable. If you’re heading this way during autumn you’ll want to make sure that you have clothing to keep cool on the streets of Gatlinburg, jackets to keep you warm at Clingmans Dome and an umbrella to keep you dry when the rain rolls in. Being prepared will help you enjoy your trip, regardless of the weather that you experience during your stay.
- Pack Some Patience: Again, it’s a popular time. Come with plenty of patience packed and just an overall attitude that it’s great to be in the Smoky Mountains. After all, a busy day in Gatlinburg is still far better than a busy day at work, right?
- Give Back to the Area You Love: Our folks in Gatlinburg and the surrounding areas love to welcome visitors and they want you to have a wonderful vacation. Remember to give back to them when you’re dining out, checking out of your lodging, or enjoying a drink. Great Smoky Mountains National Park does not charge an entrance fee but by dropping a few dollars in one of the donation boxes you can provide much-needed support for the country’s most visited national park.
- Mix It Up: A little city fun, a little exploring the great outdoors. We have the best of both worlds, so be sure to mix it up and enjoy it all!
5 Photos to Take and Share Before You Leave Gatlinburg
- Strolling Among the Scarecrows: If you’ve been to Gatlinburg, then chances are you’ve already snapped a few photos with the friends of Fall in downtown. If you haven’t been here yet, you can’t miss them. Take a few photos, share them and be sure to tag us! Find the locations on the Gatlinburg App.
- Above the City: The Gatlinburg Bypass isn’t just handy for skipping over traffic in downtown Gatlinburg, but it also offers one of the best views in town. Stop in, soak up the beauty, and snap a few photos.
- A Great Smoky Mountains National Park Pitstop: Taking a selfie, photo with your sweetheart, or capturing a family trip to the Smokies by stopping at the National Park sign is a classic move that you won’t want to skip.
- Fun at Gatlinburg’s Favorite Mountain Top Attractions: Fun times are waiting for you on Anakeesta Mountain, at the Gatlinburg SkyLift Park on Crockett Mountain and at Ober Gatlinburg. Head on up to the top, participate in the seasonal fun and share a few photos with us!
- Smoky Mountain Sippin’: Gatlinburg never has a shortage of sippin’ opportunities year-round but autumn brings out everything from fancy cups of joe to cider and fall-flavored moonshine. What are you sippin’ on this season? Share a photo on your social account and tag us!
With as many fun things to do as there are autumn views, it's easy to see why travelers looking for show-stopping foliage return year after year to Gatlinburg and Great Smoky Mountains National Park. As the most biodiverse park in the National Park System, the...Learn More
Declared “The Best Mountain Town in the South” by Southern Living Readers, Gatlinburg has everything you need for a memorable vacation that leaves you yearning to come back again and again. Check out these Top Ten Most Searched Attractions in Gatlinburg...Learn More