Sponsored by Hilton Garden Inn in Gatlinburg. Enjoy a week of family-oriented events created around Earth Day Celebration. The week features fun and entertaining community activities designed to educate people about adopting easy green practices.
Here are all the events during Earth Week.
- Monday, April 20: Gatlinburg Goes Green Breakfast Seminar at Hilton Garden Inn. The Gatlinburg Convention Center and The Hilton Garden Inn will be speaking about green business practices. Enjoy a delicious breakfast and learn some practical tips for your business to go green in 2015!
- Tuesday, April 21: Spur Clean Up, with Keep Sevier Beautiful - Get a hands-on experience at the Spur Clean-up beginning at the Gatlinburg Welcome Center on the Spur. Earth Week is partnering with Keep Sevier Beautiful and Great Smoky Mountains National Park to pick up litter along a stretch of National Park between Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, known as the Spur. Businesses and Organizations are encouraged to put together teams to compete to see who can collect the most trash.
- Wednesday, April 22: Spring Cleaning Super Recycling – Be a superhero this Earth Week! Get a head start on your Spring Cleaning and drop off your recyclables at the Goodwill Recycling Drop-off Center, located at 1855 East Parkway, from 11 am – 6pm. Goodwill staff will be accepting donations, and the Gatlinburg Police Department will be providing safe medicine disposal on site. NO hazardous waste accepted. Acceptable materials include newspaper, mixed paper, cardboard, metals, aluminum and steel cans, #1 and #2 plastic containers, all electronics, oils, and antifreeze.
- Thursday, April 23: Earth Day Festival - Bring the entire family to Gatlinburg to the annual Earth Day Festival to learn about easy green practices, enjoy music, activities and games, craft stations and food. Gatlinburg area green businesses and organizations will be onsite with activities and information. Enjoy the sounds of Tuatha Dea and Boogertown Gap! Earth Week t-shirts featuring the art work of a local student will be for sale at the festival. All sales will benefit the Gatlinburg Chamber of Commerce Foundation which provides local scholarships, donations to schools, the Gatlinburg Goes Green Program and community educational events.
- Friday, April 24: Earth Day 5K Run/Walk - Runners and walkers are invited to celebrate Earth Week by participating in the Fourth Annual Earth Day 5K Run/Walk in beautiful downtown Gatlinburg. The night race is scheduled on Friday, April 24, 2015 at 10:00pm. Athletes of all ages are welcome to participate in this USA Track and Field sanctioned event. Early registration is encouraged to guarantee your shirt size! Race night registration begins at 8:00pm at Nantahala Outdoor Center.
- Saturday, April 25: Great Smoky Mountains National Park will celebrate National Junior Ranger Day on Saturday, April 25 with special activities at all three of the Park's visitor centers. Children and their families can join in a variety of free, hands-on activities. A few of the natural and cultural opportunities that will be available include Ranger-guided walks, historic toy making, the making of dinner bells at a blacksmith shop, and visiting touch tables with animal skins, skulls and scat.